Wednesday 14 November 2007

Back due to popular demand!!

Actually it was just my Dad who asked why I don't write on the blog anymore...but in case anyone else is interested it's because I'm too lazy. Lots happens, I plan to write, I get sidetracked (usually by Facebook) and before I know it it's last week's news. But since I'm not working today I thought why not? Beats going to the launderette anyway.

A quick update: still have 2 shower possibilities in my bathroom but generally only take one a day. My neighbour, contrary to common belief, is an extremely clean French girl and had 3 showers yesterday. I was very annoyed. We've had plumbers back, we've called, we've written letters, we've got other people to call on our behalf, and STILL the drip goes on dripping.

So you might be wondering why I'm not working on a Wednesday in the middle of November. No, not because I'm ill, not because it's yet another French public holiday or because my students are on all holiday. It's because there are no trains. There's a national strike which started last night and could go on well, forever it seems. Train drivers are protesting that Sarkozy wants to cut their retirement privileges and bring them in line with those of the civil service (who already get a quite cushy deal by the sound of it) Clearly they're not going to be happy about having to work longer but their job isn't quite the coal shovelling nightmare of their predecessors. Why should they get special treatment? Besides which, the French voted for Sarkozy hoping he would do something to change the mess that France is in. How can he do that if there's opposition every step of the way? In fact I heard that the public are generally mighty unhappy with the strikes, even talking about an anti-strike protest on Sunday. Most people, including myself, actually want or need to go to work and this open-ended strike makes it very difficult. I'm seriously considering joining the protest on Sunday.

In other news...my Christmas holidays are now officially booked - from 20th December until 5th January. Hurrah!

No comments: